First Presbyterian Church Historic Cemetery
|Historical -Knoxville's First Presbyterian Church and Historic Graveyard.
Organized in 1792, this was the city's first church. It is still located on its original site downtown at 620 State Street. The property was once the turnip patch of James White, the founder of Knoxville. White reserved this site for "a church and a burying ground."
The oldest grave is that of territorial governor William Blount who died March 21, 1800. Among those buried in the church graveyard are of course James White himself; Hugh Lawson White, a candidate for U.S. President in 1836; and Col. John Williams, a member of Congress.
The graveyard is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. . . . .Visit Website
Picture submitted and copyrighted by J. Wilson ......................................................
- Click Below to See More Knoxville Tn Photos -
Use your browser back button to return to previous pictures
© All Photographs on this site are copywrited material - See Notice Below
KNOXPHOTOS Frequently Asked Questions
© 1998-2005, Printech Graphic Communications, Inc.
All Photos on this site are copywrited material and may not be reproduced,
distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used in any form whatsoever without the
written permission of the original photographers credited and Printech Inc.